Ontario Provincial Standards & Specifications
Development of Industry Standards and Best Practice Manuals
The development and maintenance of Provincial, National and International industry standards are critical to grow the use of new innovative cost effective technologies for underground infrastructure construction, renewal and replacement to become main stream and used in the construction industry.
OPSS Standards DIVISION 4
AWWA and ISO Standards
Good Practice Manuals
CATT developed the Water Pipeline Condition Classification (WPCC) system – the first known such system in the world. Over 13 North American municipalities and water utilities, three major technology providers, and a number of academics and industry experts participated in the project.
To date, the following OPSS have been developed through CATT’s Technical committee:
- Rehabilitation of Non-Pressure Pipe by CIPP Liner
- Fold & Form PVC Liner
- CIPP for Watermains
- Watertight Maintenance Hole Covers
- CIPP for Sewage Forcemains
- Zoom Camera Inspections
- Laser Inspections
- Condition Assessment of Gravity Sewer Pipes by Measurement of Electric Current Flow Through Pipe Walls
Please note: The revisions to the above specs have been completed and the drafts have been submitted to OPSS for approval and will be published soon.
OPSS Standards DIVISION 4 – DRAINAGE, WATERMAINS, AND UTILITY related to underground infrastructure assessment, construction, and renewal
CATT’s Technical committee, which consists of CATT members and industry expert’s, have been at the forefront of the development and maintenance of Ontario Provincial Standard Specifications (OPSS) trenchless technology specifications. Many of these standards have been used to develop National and International standards.
Current OPSS Standards can be found using the MTO Portal link.
- OPSS.MUNI 409 – Closed-Circuit Television (CCTV) Inspection of Pipelines
- OPSS.MUNI 415 – Pipeline Installation by Tunnelling
- OPSS.MUNI 416 – Pipeline and Utility Installation by Jacking and Boring
- OPSS.MUNI 432 – Zoom Camera Inspections
- OPSS.MUNI 434 – Laser and LiDAR Surveying of Pipelines
- OPSS.MUNI 435 – Sonar Inspections of Gravity Pipe Sewers and Culverts
- OPSS.MUNI 436 – Locating Gravity Pipe Sewers
- OPSS.MUNI 438 – Mandrel Deflection Inspections
- OPSS.MUNI 439 – Direct Measurement Inspections
- OPSS.MUNI 441 – Watermain Installation in Open Cut
- OPSS.MUNI 442 – Corrosion Protection of New and Existing Watermains
- OPSS.MUNI 450 – Pipeline and Utility Installation in Soil by Horizontal Directional Drilling
- OPSS.MUNI 460 – Gravity Pipe and Sewer Rehabilitation by Cured-In-Place Pipe
- OPSS.MUNI 462 – Cement Mortar Lining of Watermains
- OPSS.MUNI 465 – Sewer Pipeline and Culvert Rehabilitation by PVC Fold and Form Liner
- OPSS.MUNI 490 – Site Preparation for Pipelines, Utilities, And Associated Structures
- OPSS.MUNI 491 – Preservation, Protection, and Reconstruction of Existing Facilities
- OPSS.MUNI 492 – Site Restoration Following Installation of Pipelines, Utilities, And
- Associated Structures
- OPSS.MUNI 493 – Temporary Potable Water Supply Services
New OPPS Standards currently under development
- OPSS.MUNI XXX – CONSTRUCTION SPECIFICATION FOR THE STRUCTURAL REHABILITATION OF GRAVITY SEWER PIPE BY CURED-IN-PLACE SPOT REPAIR
- OPSS.MUNI XXX – CONSTRUCTION SPECIFICATION FOR SEWAGE FORCEMAIN REHABILITATION BY CURED-IN-PLACE PIPE
- OPSS.MUNI XXX – CONSTRUCTION SPECIFICATION FOR WATER MAIN REHABILITATION BY CURED-IN-PLACE PIPE
AWWA and ISO Standards
CATT is also active and support in the development of industry leading national and International standards to ensure consistency and uniformity in North America and Internationally so that technologies developed in Europe or North America can be specified with confidence in Europe and/or North America markets with minimum barriers
Dr. Knight, CATT Executive Director, chairs the development AWWA CIPP Watermain Specification and is an active committee member developing AWWA Sliplining Standard. Randy Cooper, active CATT member also chaired the development and revision of AWWA C620-19 Spray-In-Place Polymeric Lining for Potable Water Pipelines, 4 In. (100 mm) and Larger
CATT also supports the Canadian ISO committee ISO/TC 138/SC 8 which comments and votes on the following ISO Standards.
- ISO 11296: Plastics piping systems for renovation of underground non-pressure drainage and sewerage networks
- ISO 11297: Plastics piping systems for renovation of underground drainage and sewerage networks under pressure
- ISO 11298: Plastics piping systems for renovation of underground water supply networks
Good Practice Manuals
Dr. Knight also chairs AWWA M28 Watermain Rehabilitation Manual Fourth Edition and AWWA Watermain Rehabilitation Committee. Dr. Knight is also an active member of AWWA Condition Assessment Committee.
Dr. Knight also contributed to the revision of AWWA M55 PE Pipe—Design and Installation
Dr Knight was also a contributor to the development of AWWA Committee Report – Structural Classifications of Pressure Pipe Linings: Suggested Protocol for Product Classification